The scanner did not break it as much as we thought, which is a credit to the construction of the scanner. What the fall did do, however, was dislodge the disk on top of the scanner, so we tried to put the disk back. Then we had to take it apart, because the disk doesn't fit back in from the top. We had to take the scanner apart and attach the disk from the underside. (Did we mention that it was all greasy to promote turning?!)
This worked, except we didn't get the motor aligned with the disk. Well, we didn't really realize the gears needed to align between the motor and the disk.
Then we tried to take it apart again. This time, we broke off some bearing holders inside. After complimenting its construction, it seems we had found its weakest link! These tiny pieces of plastic poked up and supported three metal bearings. Oops.
Not so much of a credit to the scanner, but multiple deconstructions by middle schoolers was probably not a problem that they were anticipating. We came up with a high-tech solution to the broken parts - pipe cleaners. We put pipe cleaners where the holders were, like this:
We had to take it apart once more, (that's three times if you're counting), because we didn't screw in the back properly. In order to screw it back into the base, we'd have to remove the disk from the top. Which is what started this entire mess in the first place! [Teacher's Note: reminds me of this.] We think that it was originally assembled by a machine, so we can't actually put it back together properly. It does scan, though, it just doesn't have all the casing on.
So now it looks like this: